APRIL 2018 JOAHBOX
I have been out of the subscription box game for a long time! I’ve tried quite a few in the past; anywhere from Birchbox, Ipsy, Sephora Play, 3B, KiraKira.. well you name it. Eventually they all fell short for me, each for their own individual reasons.
This leads me to JOAHBOX! I tried to do my research and pick the box that was going to benefit my needs at this time. Here lies my problem with Korean subscription boxes..for some reason people have in their mind that Korean beauty only consists of skincare. Yes, the business of Korean skincare is booming right now! But it’s nothing new, it’s always been there. But now is when the rest of the world is catching up. That being said, what about Korean makeup? Is it going to take another decade before the Western world catches up with it too? Cause I’m ready NOW! Finding a sub box that also included Korean makeup was and is a doozy.
But before I talk your ears off about the pros and cons of JOAHBOX and whether I’m continuing my subscription (this is my first box, mind you) let me show you the goods this month!
< If you’d like to read my JOAHBOX review first please scroll to the bottom >
PONY EFFECT contour lip color < entertainer >
- Liven up your lips with this essential lip product that contours your pout, adding shape and depth. It’s the new MLBB… my lips but BOLDER!
- The bigger end is a moisturizing, butter lipstick that applies pigmented and vibrant with a beautiful, satin finish
- The smaller end is a lighter lip color that allows you to create cool ombre effects or add more dimensions and sophistication to your pout.
- Entertainer Lip Pencil: A sweet coral color with a pinkish hue to define your lip shape.
- Entertainer Lipstick: A youthful, bright coral color with rose undertones to fill in your lips.
I’m not into contour these days and since my lips are already full I’m not really into over filling or lining my lips. I prefer to do ombre lips or just full application by my fingertips to soften the color. Bold lips are not for me! That being said I absolutely love the formula and color of this lipstick! I mainly use the chubby end, it’s so smooth and has a beautiful finish. I would definitely purchase in other colors! I absolutely love most of the Pony Effect line, so it’s really awesome that this is a brand they work with!
EUNYUL cleansing healing pad
- EUNYUL Cleansing Healing Pad is effective for removing dark make-up as well as waste from the skin without skin irritation and also supply moisture to the skin at once.
- It contains Tea Tree Extract, Witch Hazel Water, Hyaluronic acid which help to soothe the skin and keep the skin moisturized.
- It makes your skin feel moist as you have applied essence to skin.
- Remove the make-up with fresh feeling
As you’ll notice in the pictures the pad did take off a good amount of makeup and it definitely left my face feeling refreshed and hydrated without any weird residue or scent. I think it’s great to pack into a travel kit! It’s also great when you come home from a night out and are too tired (or drunk) to properly go through your skincare steps. It won’t completely remove waterproof mascara, so keep that in mind. But overall, It was very useful and I’m happy that JOAHBOX included two packs!
RIRE all kill black peeling pad
- Remove the dead skin and reborn with the new soft skin
- As a hypoallergenic gommage peeling pad, cellulose from vegetables removes the dead skin
- Cleanse the waste and black heads in the skin pores and maintains sebum
- Contains black bean, black sesame, black rice extract that is excellent in removing the waste from the skin pores for a better skin pore care
This is another great travel essential! It did a pretty good job at exfoliating. You start with the full black side and for problem areas you use the back side for extra scrubbing. I know many people are against physical exfoliators and prefer chemical exfoliation. But I’m a big fan and I’ve been using physical exfoliation since I was a teen with no negative effects. To each their own!
JEEN cmc hair treatment
It was difficult to find any information about this product in English online but I was able to snag some Korean articles and videos. It seems to be a well accepted in-shower hair mask. Many people who color treat and bleach their hair swear by it. It’s applied after you shampoo and left in the hair for 5-10 minutes. It doesn’t state whether a conditioner is needed afterwards but from my extensive experience with these types of hair masks I would say a conditioner afterwards would be overkill.
I love hair masks and this one was no exception! It has a really nice smell that I can’t quite pinpoint. Left my hair feeling soft and manageable even after blow drying. I’ll continue using it during my hair washes. Unfortunately it seems it’s not easily accessible to buy online.
MIGABEE broccoli pure ampoule
- Brassica Oleracea Italica (Broccoli) Extract 100% Solution
- Protects the skin environmental stressors
- Help hydrate skin and also deeply penetrate to provide lasting moisturization
- Full of vitamin C and other nutrients nourishes the skin leaving a radiant sheen that looks youthful and glowing
- Calming and soothing
I’m currently a little on the fence about this ampoule because it feels like water, literally. It feels and smells like water. IS IT WATER!? Just kidding. I may slip it into my skincare and see how it does OR I may set it aside for a giveaway I’m planning. I’m actually planning two unrelated giveaways so look forward to that in the near future!
HALF MOON EYES wash off face mask exfoliator < pink fruity dragon fruit >
- A wash off mask that eliminates sebum and other impurities from the pores.
- It is a multi-functional mask that is formulated with Dragon Fruit Extract for pore tightening and Snail Slime Extract for hydration and skin texture smoothing, among other ingredients.
- After cleansing, apply a thin layer of the mask onto the skin, avoiding eye and mouth area. Be careful not to break the particles when applying the mask.
- Leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the color lightens. Rinse off thoroughly with lukewarm water.
I wasn’t expecting much from this mask but I was pleasantly surprised! It has a lovely, fruity smell which is nice. It doesn’t smell artificial. Works like a clay mask, where you wait until it dries a lighter color before washing it off. Left my face feeling clean but not de-hydrated. You still need to apply your regular skincare after though. Depending on your face size you may be able to use this multiple times. My face is pretty small so I think I can get quite a few uses.
While I was researching which box to get this time around I decided on JOAHBOX primarily because it looked to have a healthy balance of skincare AND makeup. I would personally prefer an all Korean makeup sub box but to my knowledge non exist yet. When you make a profile on the site they also ask you your skin type, skin shade and whether you would prefer to see more makeup, more skincare, or a combo of both in your box. That pretty much had me sold!
Another thing that I liked was that JOAHBOX is based in Korea and there was no extra shipping cost. That does usually mean a longer wait time in getting your box than a Korean sub box that’s stationed in the US but because they are stationed in Korea they have easy access to new releases and more brands. I rather wait a few more days and get up to date products then receive outdated products. The Korean beauty industry is constantly changing and trends come and go, I rather be on top of the wave. This can be hard to do when living outside of Korea.
Sometimes it seems they’ll even add an extra product in your box! This month they added the Half Moon Eyes wash off mask as an extra. It wasn’t on the description card, so that made it a total of 7 items!
It seems as though JOAHBOX has only been around for about two or three years but I may be wrong. I don’t see anything on the site that states exactly when they started. But they are definitely newbies to the subscription scene and that can be seen by their lack of communication through newsletters, instagram posts and instagram stories. I didn’t know what to expect from the April box because there were no sneak peaks on social media like most boxes do. The only thing I received was an e-mail with one product revelation. It was a one-liner, no graphics or anything. I did notice for May they released a theme! Which is really nice, it shows they are improving.
Speaking about themes I joined in April because April is Cherry Blossom season in Korea. It’s spring! So the fact that not one product this month had any Cherry Blossom related content was shocking. There were even Cherry Blossoms on the description card and they posted images of the flowers on Instagram. There were quite a few makeup and skincare releases recently that were centered around these flowers. The most hyped was the release by Etude House, which according to their website is a brand they partner with. But not even a lipstick from their release? SO DISAPPOINTING.
Another downer was that I specifically checked I wanted more makeup than skincare in my boxes but I only received one makeup product and everything else was skincare. Why bother asking if you don’t implement it?
I always like to give subscription boxes a trial run before I ex-communicate but I also don’t like being lied to. That’s how I felt from this subscription.
My alternative is taking that 33$ and buying things I know I want on YESSTYLE each month. But there’s something about the element of surprise that keeps me searching for the subscription box of my dreams!